Choosing Adventure

...because horizons aren't static.

Monday, July 10, 2006

The Praha adventure and Budapest (with photos!)




Finally, I've found the time, free internet, and data transfer availability required to share a few photos. I'm not sure how to format the photos on the page, and I don't think I can label them so these are jumbled. Nightscape is the view of the Praha Castle also in the background of the heavily-touristed Karlov Most (Charles Bridge). The suspension bridge is Budapest's own Chain Bridge as viewed from the Buda Royal Palace. Also shown is a shot of the Buda shore of the Danube River.

I've finally become accustomed to feeling sticky and gross two minutes after a shower and in clean clothes. This is good, because from what I hear from passing travellers is that it only gets hotter from here.

After an extra day in Praha on account of meeting a Russian girl, I am in Budapest. Looking back on my days in Praha, I have to say it is a beautifully romantic city overrun by partying tourists. Not that I am against a good party, it's just that a gem of a city such as Praha shouldn't be degraded by touristing 16-year-olds and stag party hooligans. A few early mornings however gave me a very pleasant experience in this postcard city. Meandering, cobbled alleyways lead to preserved synagogues or cool, dark cellar-pubs. Nearly every street corner boasts some visual reminder of Praga's rich history.

I rode my first night train on Friday to arrive in Budapest ready to explore. It worked, as I spent the entire day hiking the hills of Buda and its Royal Palace. Crossing the Chain Bridge to Pest, I was pulled into a local music festival with lively Hungarian music and amazing food. Speaking of food, goulash is unfortunately not a summer meal so the only restaurants to serve it do so for tourits (read: it costs three times more than it should). The music festival was a refreshing display of smiles and enthusiasm after finding that Hungarians are unusually grumpy. Especially the hostel owner! I was warned about this on the train. Hungary is, according to my cynical cabin mate, one of Europe's top countries for suicide, alcoholism, divorce, and depression. I suppose that's what a history of communist rule will do to a nation.

On the schedule for today is a visit to the famous szechenyi thermal bath.

Next stop, Vienna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home